Sahar: From Inside the Quarentine

In the midst of this pandemic, I find it important to take time and connect with my friends
and family. This situation is scary and even if you aren’t being directly impacted, it is likely
that you know someone else who is. In times like this, I choose to be active in my community
and do anything I can to help those in need: whether that is starting an online fundraiser for a
family who is struggling or dropping off food and supplies for the elderly couple that lives next
door. All the little things add up in the end, so keeping others in mind is crucial to help my
community come out stronger. To keep myself grounded, I have been thinking about myself
more and dedicating more time towards my own wellbeing. I have been able to read books that
I have always wanted to read and bring my watercolor paints back out. These small changes have
helped me enjoy myself amidst the chaos that lives outside of my house. I personally don’t like the
lack of action I can take, but I have become more thankful for those who are doing more to handle
the crisis. 
I am Muslim, and like most places of worship, my local masjid is closed. I don’t get to see my
community at our Friday prayer and I don’t get to walk in and out freely for daily prayers. I miss
being able to do that, and I know that once this is all over I will consider small things like that as
a luxury. I find myself praying into the early morning hours, asking that everyone comes out of
this stronger and that as humans we can come together, unite, and become more supportive and
inclusive with each other. I hope that people realize how short life can be and that everyday is
truly a blessing.

During this time of “social distancing,” I am away from my friends, and school is no longer
dictating my schedule, which leaves me with a lot of time to reflect. I have been able to continue
on my journey of self discovery and learn more about myself and my value. I now know what
drives me and I know that everything I am learning about myself will help me become more
productive and successful. I am learning to trust my gut and do the things that I have always
wanted to do, because being alive and well is a blessing that I took for granted. This crisis is
giving people the opportunity to realize their potential and hopefully go do something positive
with it. Regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, etc. it is important to stay healthy and take
this time to reflect on and learn your value. 

Sahar Baha is a junior at Blue Valley Southwest. She identifies as Muslim and when she is not studying, she likes to spend time with friends, read, and volunteer at her local Masjid.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Global Ties Movie Night- Mexico

Natalie Rovello: In The Weeds