Meet KCIYA Youth Leadership Team Member: Emma Flynn


Greetings and salutations! 

My name is Emma and I am a junior at Olathe South High School. In school I’m part of our Horticulture Club, I love spending time outdoors and learning about everything around me. I’m also a huge literature fan, my favorite pastimes often include reading and writing. I plan to major in Humanities in college with a minor in English. 


 I’m a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I believe that God is a separate and distinct being from His Son, Jesus Christ, and from the Holy Ghost. I believe that He loves us unconditionally and that His greatest desire is for all His children to return to live with Him again. I study from the Bible and the Book of Mormon. Like the Bible, the Book of Mormon contains sacred writings from followers of Jesus. Just like God spoke to Moses and Noah in the Bible, He also spoke to people in the Americas.


My religious beliefs have taught me the power in service. I believe that the fastest way to feel joy can be found through serving others. I hope to show others how everyone can make the world a better place. By being a member of my church, I have learned a strong sense of community. It’s a nice feeling to know that wherever I move I’ll have the gospel with me. When I was younger my mom was battling leukemia, the support we received from the church was overwhelming. People we didn’t even know were making dinner for us every day and helping to organize fundraisers. I joined KCIYA with the aspiration to make my community a little brighter as others have done for me.


While I find great inspiration in many leaders from my church there are many other religious leaders I esteem. Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama, is one of those leaders I love. He taught me that what we need is compassion towards one another. We must make an effort to understand and to gather up love and wisdom. It’s often said however it’s a vital truth that no one is too small to make a difference.
I’m grateful for the opportunity KCIYA is giving me to work with a group of like-minded individuals and serve as best we can. I can’t wait to get to know everyone better and grow with this group.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Global Ties Movie Night- Mexico

Natalie Rovello: In The Weeds